Thursday, July 9, 2009

Even more ranting

After reviewing much of the information on this series of tubes we call the internet, it has become obvious that there are many more American military wives out there writing (and kvetching) than there are Canadian ones. I have come to wonder why this is: if we just suffer in silence, or if there is something more at work here.
I have lamented the demise of the Officers' Wives clubs here, because at least there was something for us then, but here in the Brave New World that's no longer politically correct I suppose.
And now we are left to fend for ourselves, discovering the resources we need as we go along that would probably take us a quarter of the time to get to if we actually had services for military spouses that worked. One of the most interesting films I've seen in a while addresses this, and was made by a Quebecoise named Claire Corriveau. Her first film, Nomad's Land gets into the nitty gritty of being a military wife, including the subtle manipulation of our lives by the DND. Did you know the divorce rate between military spouses is 90%? Yeah, a sobering statistic indeed. I couldn't find any more info from StatsCan, assuredly the DND likes to keep this to itself I'm sure. Even their "don't worry our JTF doesn't have any higher divorce rate than usual" is only an oblique reference to what is happening with military marriages. Right now, I'm reading an article about strong military marriages called Marital Strength in Canadian Military Couples by Elena Sherwood, and it addresses whether or not the marriages would have been strong regardless of whether or not one of the members was in the military.
It's hard to say, really, because in this economic climate we do have to pick and choose where we let personal vs financial decisions hold the forefront in our lives.
This is not made any easier by the fact that as a spouse, you can't have a job that requires you to be in one place for a long time, so if you're a professional, you are S.O.L. You have to do menial, make-do work for the most part, unless you're lucky enough to get "government work" or have a really transportable skill (like nurses, and even then it's if-y). You find yourself three degrees later daydreaming about such glamourous jobs as 'baker' or 'seller of Amway', which is probably not what you envisioned when you graduated from university.
And now, in the meantime, you do what you have to. In my case, I work at a wonderful place called Nurtured on Saturdays, and I am running an in-home daycare, which works for all involved (incidentally all kids with one military parent), but I'll have to move in a year or two, and then the cycle will start all over.
Every day brings a new challenge: like today, when I realized I have two cords of wood in my driveway that has to be stacked (while my husband is away at sea). Hopefully tomorrow's challenge won't be insurmountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment